Enrollment is open for all 2016 Professional Development Institute classes.
- Registration and Coffee at 8:30 am. Class from 9 am - 4 pm, unless otherwise noted.
- All classes held at First Call: 9091 State Line Road, Kansas City, MO 64114.
- Entry and parking on North side of building, 3rd Floor Community Training Room.
- All classes approved by the Missouri Substance Abuse Professionals Credentialing Board for six contact hours.
Payment & Registration
- Payment must be received two (2) weeks prior to class.
All classes are $45 and 6 contact hours, unless otherwise noted.
- Registration is not valid until paid in full.
- Cancellations must be received 7 days before class date to receive a refund.
- No credits or refunds will be issued for failure to cancel.
Schedule of Classes
- April 22, 2016: The Family System, Genograms and the Impact of Addiction on the Family (#354) – Gain an understanding of patterns of behavior in a family system, create a family genogram and study how addiction impacts the entire family system. Mary Vorsten, MA, LCPC, MAC, CRAADC, CCGC
- May 6, 2016: Orientation to Trauma Informed Care: Building a Compassionate Culture (#363) – – Molly Ticknor, MA, ATR, LPC, Trauma Informed Care Consultant, Truman Medical Center; Dena Sneed, OTR/L, Trauma Informed Care Consultant, TMCBH
- May 13, 2016: Motivational Interviewing (#355) – Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based treatment that addresses willingness to change. Using MI, help people discover their readiness to change (e.g., diet, exercise, addressing physical or mental illness and/or alcohol, tobacco and other drugs). MRSS – Scott Breedlove
- June 17, 2016: Diagnosing (#356) – Review DSM-5 (including updates) with an emphasis on Substance Use Disorder. Kathryn Brewer PhD ABD, LPC
- June 24, 2016: Intro to Daring Greatly and the Teachings of Brené Brown (#364) - Lucy Brown, LAC, CIP, CDWF
- July 29, 2016: What is an Intervention? (#357) - David Brown, LAC, CIP, CSAT(c)
- August 12, 2016: The Neurobiology of Addiction (#358) – Explore the science behind Substance Use Disorder and how the disease affects our brains. Dr. Mel French
- August 26, 2016: Prescription Drugs: Addiction & Treatment (#359) - David Brown, LAC, CIP, CSAT(c)
- September 9, 2016: Substance Abuse & Parental Influence (#360) – Explore the link between problem behavior in youth and family systems. Lucy Brown, LAC, CADC III, CIP, CDWF
- September 23, 2016: Ethics in Response to the Suicidal Client (#361) - Mary Vorsten, MA, LCPC, MAC, CRAADC, CCGC
- October 7, 2016: Recovery Ethics (#362) – Review ethical professional practices and confidentiality and the importance of ethical standards for addiction counselors to ensure the delivery of the highest quality of service to clients. Scott Breedlove, MRSS
Unless noted otherwise, all classes are $45 and 6 contact hours.