Enrollment is open for all 2016 Professional Development Institute classes.
- Registration and Coffee at 8:30 am. Class from 9 am - 4 pm, unless otherwise noted.
- All classes held at First Call: 9091 State Line Road, Kansas City, MO 64114.
- Entry and parking on North side of building, 3rd Floor Community Training Room.
Payment & Registration
- Payment must be received two (2) weeks prior to class.
All classes are $45 and 6 contact hours, unless otherwise noted.
- Registration is not valid until paid in full.
- Cancellations must be received 7 days before class date to receive a refund.
- No credits or refunds will be issued for failure to cancel.
Schedule of Classes
- January 29, 2016: Recovery Oriented Systems of Care (#350) – Recovery Oriented Systems of Care encompass a broad range of individualized services, including prevention, early intervention, treatment, continuing care and recovery in partnership with other disciplines, such as mental health and primary care. MRSS (this training is part of the MRSS/MRSS-P credentialing requirement) Molly O’Neill
- February 26, 2016: Trauma & Addiction Treatment & Recovery (#351) – Addiction and trauma disorders are often closely linked. Addressing all aspects of co-occurring addiction, trauma and PTSD in an integrated way is important in developing the best possible recovery plan. Kathryn Brewer PhD ABD, LPC
- March 4, 2016: Ethics, Confidentiality & Infectious Disease (#352) – Explore different ways of making ethical decisions, along with reviewing the code of ethics developed by the National Association of Alcohol and Drug Counselors (NAADC) and by the Addiction and Prevention Services of Kansas with specific discussion as it relates to infectious diseases like HIV, STDs and TB. Review the Federal regulations on information release, exceptions and responding to subpoenas and warrants. ($60/includes lunch) Joe Gilman & Center for Healing and Recovery
- March 25, 2016: Art Therapy in Recovery (#353) – Learn about the field of art therapy and the integration of art therapy into the treatment of substance use disorders by exploring how the creative processes can aid in the development of self-regulation, increased self-esteem and self-awareness. Janice Mead, MS, LPC, ATR-BC, CTS, RASAC-II
- April 22, 2016: The Family System, Genograms and the Impact of Addiction on the Family (#354) – Gain an understanding of patterns of behavior in a family system, create a family genogram and study how addiction impacts the entire family system. Mary Vorsten, MA, LCPC, MAC, CRAADC, CCGC
- May 13, 2016: Motivational Interviewing (#355) – Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based treatment that addresses willingness to change. Using MI, help people discover their readiness to change (e.g., diet, exercise, addressing physical or mental illness and/or alcohol, tobacco and other drugs). MRSS – Scott Breedlove
- June 17, 2016: Diagnosing (#356) – Review DSM-5 (including updates) with an emphasis on Substance Use Disorder. Kathryn Brewer PhD ABD, LPC
- July 29, 2016: What is an Intervention? (#357) - David Brown, LAC, CIP, CSAT(c)
- August 12, 2016: The Neurobiology of Addiction (#358) – Explore the science behind Substance Use Disorder and how the disease affects our brains. Dr. Mel French
- August 16, 2016: Prescription Drugs: Addiction & Treatment (#359) - David Brown, LAC, CIP, CSAT(c)
- September 9, 2016: Substance Abuse & Parental Influence (#360) – Explore the link between problem behavior in youth and family systems. Lucy Brown, LAC, CADC III, CIP, CDWF
- September 23, 2016: Ethics in Response to the Suicidal Client (#361) - Mary Vorsten, MA, LCPC, MAC, CRAADC, CCGC
- October 14, 2016: Recovery Ethics (#362) – Review ethical professional practices and confidentiality and the importance of ethical standards for addiction counselors to ensure the delivery of the highest quality of service to clients. Scott Breedlove, MRSS
Unless noted otherwise, all classes are $45 and 6 contact hours.